POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC Work in Progress (about 125k) : Re: IRTC Work in Progress (about 125k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC Work in Progress (about 125k)
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 19 Mar 2001 16:29:04
Message: <3ab67a20@news.povray.org>
=Bob= <bob### [at] threestrandscom> wrote:

> Hi Geoff,

> This is a wonderful picture, so full of ideas
> and great dimension and perspective. It's
> such a superb picture, there's not alot to say
> negative. But I'll try to get picky:

> 1. I think the mist at the bottom is too bright.

Unfortunately, I'm having a bear of a time fixing this.  Still working on it
though.  Any experts on scattering media want to give me a hand?  I need a
cloud cover with a bright patch in the center, but foggy by the edges, and
thick enough that you can't see what's below throughout.  I I lessen the
density, the brightness fades to the center, but so does the opacity.  What
I'd really like is an opaque cloud layer with something bright underneath,
but doing it the naive way (a cloud layer with a bright object underneath)
doesn't seem to be working well.

> 2. I don't care for the vertical line that appears
> where the blocks all line up on the left side. The
> blocks should overlap or they would be unsound.
> The part I'm talking about is a vertical line in the
> blocks directly behind the lergest glow.

Drat.  You noticed. :P  The algorithm I use is a rewritten version of the
mur.inc.  I didn't like the way vertical lines would often appear, so I got
rid of them in my algorithm (as well as a lot of other stuff.  The algorithm
is significantly more complex)  However, I work in blocks, and the curve in
block is separate from the tower curve (they're basically conic sections)
I'd hoped I could hide it in the background... :/

> 4. The turrets and windows look "cutout" rather
> than built-in.

I'm not sure why.  They're both built in to the algorithm in the sense that
there was never anything there.  One problem might be that relatively small
stones were used around them, compared to the rest of the structure.

> 5. Maybe it could use more distance in the back-
> ground.

> 6. With all that mist, it seems there should be some
> shininess to the blocks, at least the lower ones. And
> I agree with those who mentioned adding moss.

Yep.  Wall in the works, and is half done (the easy half, sadly)

> All in all, a really great work.

Thanks